Wednesday, April 13, 2011
PARACHINAR: A convoy comprising 350 passengers started its journey to Peshawar on Tuesday under escort by the security forces (Frontier Corps), official and tribal sources said.
The sources said the passengers comprising women, children, students, servicemen and ailing individuals belonging to Kurram Agency left for Peshawar under the security escort in the wake of attacks on passenger vehicles on Thall-Parachinar Road.
Three people were killed and 40 others sustained injuries when unidentified militants opened fire on passenger vehicles on way to Parachinar in Baggan area of lower parts of Kurram Agency on March 25. Militants kidnapped over three dozens travellers including women and children. Since the incident of killing and abduction, the road remained closed for 18 days.
The Parachinar Road was recently reopened when the Islamabad peace agreement was signed between the two warring sects after three years of violence. The incident generated strong resentment among the residents of upper tehsil in Kurram Agency who termed the killing and abduction of passengers as violation of the peace agreement and against the Pakhtun tribal norms. They held regular protests against the incident asking the government and military to protect life and property of the area people who were constantly targeted by militants having sanctuaries in lower parts of Kurram Agency.
Meanwhile, owing to the complaints of the tribesmen, the government barred a Lahore-based air travel company, Hybrid Aviation, from operating light commercial planes to Parachinar. They had been charging Rs18,000-20,000 for one-way flight over the last few years